TEAM BIKE CHALLENGE
Marin is looking for 40 teams – sign up today!
On Thursday, May 12, 2011, tens of thousands of residents from all corners of the Bay Area will put aside their car keys, pocket their transit money and try biking to work – and wherever they need to go. Take the challenge!
The Team Bike Challenge kicks off May 1, 2011. Gather your friends, colleagues, and neighbors to form teams and pedal during the month of May. Earn points for each day any team member rides and for the number of miles biked. Team members do not have to ride together. Points are awarded for riding to work, errands, entertainment, or school. (Sorry, no points for recreational rides.) The team with the most points at the end of the month wins a grand prize!
Here’s how the Team Bike Challenge works:
- Form a team of 2-5 people. Your team must have at least one Novice rider.
- Sign up your team on the Team Bike Challenge website.
- Record your bike trips on the Team Bike Challenge website or the iBikeChallenge iPhone app.
- Earn the most points by commuting by bike for as many days and as many miles as possible in May
- Earn bonus points for completing microachievements: number of calories burned by cycling; longest ride distance; total carbon saved; trip types; number of consecutive days with trips; and people you invite who join the Team Bike Challenge.
- For the first 3 weeks of May, rides for each day of the week can be recorded until 11:59 p.m. on the same day of the next week. Example: if you commute by bike on May 4th, you have until 11:59 p.m. May 11th to record that ride. Late rides will not be accepted so make sure to record your rides regularly. Using the iBikeChallenge application for your iPhone will help you keep track of rides as it records and posts them for you.
- For the last week of May, the last day to record rides is Wednesday, June 1, 2011. You must have your rides recorded by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, June 1, for them to count for the competition so make sure to record your rides for the last week of May before then.
- At the end of the month, the team with the most points wins!
Who’s on your team?
- Novice – Must not have participated in Team Bike Challenge before. A new or infrequent rider who uses his/her bike two times or less per month. (Each team must have at least one Novice rider) 3 points each day pedaled
- Big Wheel – Important members of the community: Upper management, celebrities, journalists, or elected officials. (Limit one Big Wheel per team) 3 points each day pedaled
- Weekend Warrior – A weekend warrior rides regularly for recreation but not commuting; average bike commutes are <12 per month. 2 points each day pedaled
- Veteran Cyclist – Participated previously in Team Bike Challenge. Uses their bike regularly for commuting, but not as often as they could; 3-11 times per month. 2 points each day pedaled
- Expert Cyclist – Rides their bike regularly for commuting; 12+ times per month. 1 point each day pedaled
For more information visit the Team Bike Challenge website.