Rider Feedback Needed Input Needed Now to Identify Issues on Muir Woods Road
As part of an effort to improve a 2.4 mile segment of Muir Woods Road between Muir Woods Visitor Center and Highway 1, the County of Marin, Federal Highway Administration, National Parks Service, and California State Parks want your input as they prepare to study proposed enhancements.
MCBC members and other cyclists familiar with the Muir Woods Road should review the project factsheet and visit this page to share your experiences riding in this area; the agencies are particularly interested in learning more about existing safety or access issues and possible opportunities for improvements.
The purpose of the proposed project is to improve the road’s structural integrity, safety, drainage, and water quality impacts. According to the project website, possible improvements include:
- Stabilizing road locations adjacent to Redwood Creek where the creek has eroded and undermined the roadway
- Widening the roadway to a consistent 24-foot paved width
- Improving drainage by replacing deteriorating and substandard culverts
- Restoring, rehabilitating, and resurfacing the road to provide a maintainable surface
- Replacing the existing substandard bridge with a new structure that can accommodate two 11- foot lanes, five-foot shoulders, and a six-foot sidewalk
Comments are due by Friday, December 9 at 11 PM. After the agencies gather comments and complete the scoping process, a draft environmental document will be prepared. Feedback will be requested again upon release of the draft environmental document.
Thanks to WeLikeToBike.com for supplying the banner image above!
Model: Miko Kepko – @grumpychipmunk on Instagram
Photo by: Jon Kepko – @weliketobike on Instagram
More images around Marin can be found on the Marin County Road Rides section of WeLikeToBike.com